We'll Set Up Your New Library in These 7 Easy Steps
Opening a new media center takes an enormous amount of time and energy and procuring the most appropriate collection your budget will allow is the most critical component. For over 37 years, Mackin has been a reliable and integral partner, successfully compiling printed and digital materials for opening day collections. Assessing budgets and needs and custom crafting a collection based on those requirements is what has made us the recognized experts in this field.
We Offer a Host of FREE Services!
Free Collection Development
Free Shelf-Ready Processing
Free Shelving Assistance
Free Dewey Sorting
Free Specialized Processing and Cataloging
Free Collection Storage
Free Custom Cataloging
FREE Shipping in the United States!
“The Mackin staff of librarians who helped me with our Opening Day Collection were friendly, helpful, and asked me all the right questions to ensure that our books were cataloged and barcoded exactly as I envisioned them. They offered pre-made lists full of relevant, award-winning books, and their selection of Spanish materials was excellent. Choosing Mackin as the Opening Day Collection vendor for our school was the best decision I made for our new library.”
“Our experience opening a new library with Mackin couldn’t have been better. Almost every book a student or teacher asked for is here. Their expertise was very much appreciated. I would highly recommend Mackin and their services!”
“I was impressed with the professional, courteous, and efficient manner the Mackin representatives exhibited. They responded to all of my questions and needs in a timely manner. From the initial development of the collection to the last book being shelved, I was pleased with the experience I had with Mackin! They have a customer for life!”
We'll Set Up Your New Library in These 7 Easy Steps
- We will communicate and collaborate with you on your collection list.
- We will create customized lists that are closely aligned with your curriculum, student demographics, and budget.
- We will post your lists to your Mackin.com web account for you to review.
- We stand behind our recommendations with our “full confidence” guarantee. If you purchase a book that we recommended, and you find it unsuitable for your library, we’ll credit your account.
- View your list on your Mackin.com account (if you wish, you can also have a hard copy sent to you)
- Easily add and subtract from your lists or build additional lists
- Read reviews on the titles and see cover photos
- Get an overview of your collection through our unique summary feature
- Work on specific parts of the collection through our advanced filtering feature
- Use our TitleMatch feature to avoid duplications
- Contact your coordinator anytime you need help
- Talk to your district about any district specific requirements including barcode prefixes and starting barcode numbers.
- Your Project Manager will talk with you by phone to discuss your specifications in detail.
- Mackin will prepare and email you photos of a processed sample book and MARC record for your approval. We cannot begin processing books without your signed approval form on file.
- Your Project Manager will help you identify target delivery and shelving dates.
- Once you have your lists finalized, let your Project Manager know which lists you plan to order. Ideally, your lists should be ready to order at least 12 weeks prior to the date of desired delivery.
- Request any needed quotes from Mackin for your business office or send your requisition through for a purchase order with a blanket. Do not exceed amount as your budget dictates.
- Plan to send your purchase order to us at least 12 weeks prior to the date of desired delivery. We cannot begin working on your order until a valid purchase order has been received. We’ll contact you periodically to discuss “need by” dates.
- Plan for a tentative delivery and shelving date (knowing that Mackin will confirm everything prior to delivery).
- Please make sure you have provided Mackin your summer contact information. Please inform us of any dates you will be unreachable in case we have questions and an alternate contact person.
- We will stay in touch to confirm delivery and shelving dates, but please communicate any date changes to Mackin as soon as you are made aware of them.
- We will manage the ordering, cataloging and processing, and preparation of your collection.
- We will create your virtual library here at Mackin in perfect shelf order.
- We will pack and ship the collection in order in color-coded boxes.
- We will set up your MackinVIA account and load it with your digital content.
Our staff will:
- Your Project Manager will schedule delivery and shelving dates with you based on your school’s schedule. If construction causes a delay, that’s no problem. We will store the collection until it is needed on site.
- Our freight partners will deliver your books right on time and directly into the library.
- Your Project Manager will arrange for your sales consultant to arrive on the agreed upon day to help you shelve the collection.
- Your sales consultant or Project Manager will help you download your records.
- Our e-services team will help you upload student data into MackinVIA if needed.
- Your sales consultant will schedule any needed MackinVIA training sessions with you.